Wednesday 20 February 2013

Influence and Inspiration


Writer Neil Gaiman claims, ‘You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time. The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we’re doing it.’ In many ways I find my everyday life influence enough to write.

Emily Dickinson gained her inspiration, from what I can gather, the view from her bedroom window, newspapers, and perhaps most importantly books, she claims ‘The dearest ones of time, the strongest friends of the soul- BOOKS.’ Whilst Cheever appears to gain inspiration from the world around him, there is a shattering truth to Cheever’s work that bleeds his brutal exposure to reality; his alcoholism, his need to support his family and his battle with his own sexuality.  It seems to me; all this fed into his writing and therefore must have played an integral part in his inspiration and influence.

As I writer I think it’s important to view the world through the eyes of a writer, everything is inspiration. Whether I’m sat in a restaurant or walking along the street, all the people around me are my inspiration. I think writers have to be nosy; I listen in on conversations and arguments, I’ll see a particularly disdainful check out assistant at Sainsburys and wonder about the life that lies behind that glazed over expression. As Graham Greene argues, ‘The great advantage of being a writer is that you can spy on people. You’re there, listening to every word, but part of you is observing. Everything is useful to a writer, you see—every scrap, even at the longest and most boring of luncheon parties.’

Painter, George Seurat, took inspiration from a typical Sunday afternoon at the park to create this famous painting:

5 comments:

  1. It's an interesting angle you've taken here, and it's true that writers often take inspiration from the things they see around them. Seurat's painting is a particularly interesting example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that writers are a nosy bunch :) It can be the smallest spark that sends the imagination racing towards a new idea. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've started with a great quote from the mighty Neil Gaiman, and the discussion you go into on inspiration for Dickinson, Cheever and yourself is very intelligent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Neil Gaiman quote is always welcome. Also good points about the necessity for writers to eavesdrop, which I'd say is more useful to finding out how people interact rather than how to write dialogue. Otherwise completely realistic dialogue would be full of umming and ahhing and tripping over each other's words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed this post, I am an avid people-watcher myself and always take inspiration from observing those around me. I would definitely agree that we have to view the world as a writer and see everything as inspiration. The Graham Greene quote was especially truthful and this is very much how I view the world. Was enjoyable to hear your personal views come across throughout.

    ReplyDelete