Thursday 24 January 2013

The stories we weave of our existence...



Writer, Jeffrey Eugenides writes, ‘I'm not really an autobiographical writer, though I use lots of stuff from my life to make my stories seem real. But when I actually write about myself, I get very confused’and I have to admit this fits my experience of writing about my life perfectly. I don’t think anyone has the ability to portray an entirely truthful account of their existence, as past events are always going to be distorted by the way in which that person has perceived and remembered them, and it does then, become incredibly confusing.

Of course, we may attempt to conceal the truth of our existence deliberately when we write about it, I personally wouldn't wish to reveal everything, in an effort to avoid being completely vulnerable. So yes, I do believe there’s a contrast between the truth of our lives and the story we tell of our existence.
But as Eugenides states, ‘I use lots of stuff from my life to make my stories seem real’ and I believe this is something, as writers, we all do. Cheever’s stories ooze his depressed and conflicted character, John Updike writes in a review of Bailey’s biography of Cheever, ‘Cheever’s characters are adult, full of darkness, corruption and confusion’, therefore Cheever’s writing could arguably be considered a truer depiction of his existence than anything else.
And at the end of the day, every writer’s true aim is to create a good story and perhaps truth doesn’t play a particularly vital part in achieving this.

4 comments:

  1. Writing is a language all about perception and usually its the weirdo's not the people in the middle of the arch in the DSM V manual, that have the power to create a new dimension to life, they have the guts or the madness (as some will judge) to put their toe in the water and change the pace of life. The Cheevers, the Bronte's, the Dickinsons would liven up any boring party, God Bless them all! With fiction our innermost secrets are powerful reality/fictional tools - being vulnerable in your new writers voice is to be expected, but you will become more confident and richer by exposing more. Look at Katie Price? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your final line really stood out to me. The point is always the story, how you get there is an individual choice. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good use of quotes, you're relating well to other writers (and I can relate, too) - we'll always filter out certain parts of our lives, but as you say, creating a good story doesn't have to involve truth. It's interesting what you say about Cheever, although you may be able to say that your own stories also show your character in some way, which could also make them more "truthful" in one way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've certainly put your point across effectively here. I'd like to know more about how this relates to your writing. Do you ever use events from your life for inspiration?

    ReplyDelete